jack-in-the-pulpit, photo GGardner
Tim Whitfeld, Assistant Professor and Collections Manager of the Brown University Herbarium, will lead us on a walk in Lincoln Woods State Park in search of late spring wildflowers and blooming shrubs in the upland oak forest. The Park covers several hundred acres of deciduous forest surrounding Olney Pond in Lincoln, RI.
There is a well-maintained network of trails on the rolling glacial till with rock outcrops and scattered boulders. Among other species, we can expect to see viburnum, huckleberry, dogwood, woodland sedges, Quaker ladies, various ferns, cucumber root, jack-in-the-pulpit and violets. We will meet at the Chimney Grove Parking Area. Directions below.
Trails can be rocky and steep. Tick protection and hiking boots are recommended.
This walk is a part of our First Thursday Botanizing Walk Series. See our Botanizing Walks home page for important details about these walks.
Directions to Lincoln Woods State Park, Lincoln, RI
From the south:
• Going north on I-95 in Providence, use the two right lanes to take Exit 23 for RI-146 N (Woonsocket/State Offices).
• Follow the signs for Lincoln/Woonsocket to continue onto RI-146 N.
• After 4.6 miles, take the Twin River Road exit.
Turn left on Twin River Road. After .3 miles, you will pass an entrance booth and enter Lincoln Woods.
To parking at Chimney Grove Picnic Area
• Turn left after the booth onto the Les Pawson loop road, which circles Olney Pond.
• Parking is allowed on both sides of the road.
• Our meeting point, the Chimney Grove picnic area is located immediately before a gate where the road becomes one way and you can proceed no farther in a car.
• This is a popular place for walkers so you may have to turn around to find parking on the loop road and then walk back to Chimney Grove.
From the north:
• Follow RI-146 S to the Twin River Road exit. Turn right on Twin River Road. After .5 miles, you will pass an entrance booth and enter Lincoln Woods.
• Follow the directions above to our meeting place at the Chimney Grove picnic area.