Thanks to membership dues and other donations the RIWPS Annual Grant Committee was able to award $4,000 in grants this year. The money will support a project to collect and document plants in Rhode Island and two public school projects to encourage budding young naturalists and botanists through onsite native plant gardens.
2018 – RIWPS grant awarded
- Tim Whitfeld – Brown University Herbarium – $2,000
- Project to begin systematic, town by town herbarium collecting effort across Rhode Island.
- Fran Topping – Charlestown Elementary School – $1,500
- The main portion would be obtaining native plants from RIWPS and local nurseries & through donations; preparing educational materials for teacher use in curriculum involving native plants, and signage to inform parents, teachers and children about the plants used. Improving the soil is also needed even though hardy natives are planned for, it is a very sandy area.
- Jane O’Connell – Gilbert Stuart Middle School – $500
- Project to to plant Rhody native pollinator perennials in our outdoor classroom on our campus.