Join Brian Maynard, RIWPS Treasurer and URI Field Botany instructor, at the Great Swamp Management Area in South Kingstown. The Great Swamp trail system traverses a variety of distinctive New England habitats including Red Maple – Deciduous Shrub Swamp, Atlantic White Cedar – Hardwood Swamp and Oak – Holly Forest.
The 2-mile loop trail offers easy walking and we should see a variety of ferns, wildflowers and hopefully some orchids. Bring boots or water shoes if you think you might want to go “swamping”.
• Take I-95 south to Rt 4, and Rt 4 south to Exit 3 (RT 102).
• Take Rt 102 North to Rt 2 South. Continue to Rt 138 and turn left/east towards Kingston, RI and URI.
• In West Kingston turn right on Watson Road, just after the West Kingston Post Office.
• Turn right again on Liberty Lane and follow it to where it turns into gravel, this is Great Neck Road. Take Great Neck Road to the end, to the trailhead parking lot.
From Points East:
• Take Rt 138 west, past Kingston, to Liberty Lane (Taylor’s Landing Coffee Shop) and bear left on to Liberty Lane. Follow above directions to the parking area.
We will meet at the Great Swamp Trailhead parking lot at 10 am.
This walk is a part of our First Thursday Botanizing Walk Series. See our Botanizing Walks home page for important details you should know about the walks in this series.