Blue Pond, Rockville Management Area, Hopkinton, RI
This walk, the third in our 2018 series Plants & Their Places which is offered in conjunction with the Connecticut Botanical Society, takes us to Blue Pond, Rockville Management Area, Hopkinton, RI. During the flood of 2010, the dam that held back Blue Pond ruptured. To date, it hasn’t been repaired and the result is an expansive grassland or meadow. The upper reaches of former pond shore are now dry and sandy, and filling in with little bluestem, cranberry, club-mosses, and sundews. The lower areas form a damp layer of peat where sedges, rushes, and goldenrods are thriving.
Surrounding the pond is a mature forest of oak, hickory, beech and tulip trees. On our hike through the woods, we’ll stop and look at some of the exposed ledge and the associated plant communities. Some uncommon species we might incur include Bartonia iodandra (purple screwstem), Capnoides sempervirens (pink-corydalis), Paronychia canadensis (smooth forked whitlow-wort), Platanthera clavellata (little club-spur bog-orchid), Proserpinaca pectinata (comb-leaved mermaid-weed), Parathelypteris simulata (Massachusetts fern), and Eleocharis tuberculosa (long-tubercled spikesedge).
See Doug’s flickr album of Blue Pond.
• We will walk 2-3 miles, on and off trails, through forest, over ledge (easy), sunny fields.
• We will walk in wet fields/meadows and the shallow edge of the pond.
• Boots will enhance your experience, but are not required.
Meeting Place: The Long Pond Parking Lot on Rd, Hopkinton, RI. https://binged.it/2Jd6Y0f
• From I-95, take RI exit 2 and bear right (north) onto Woodville Alton Rd.
• Go .2 miles to the end, and turn left (southwest) onto RI-3 (Main St).
• Go .5 miles, and turn right (north) onto Canonchet Rd.
• Go 2.1 miles to the Long Pond Parking Lot on the left.
• The walk is slated to last 4 hours but may be shorter.
Walk Leader: Doug McGrady – email@example.com – 401-935-5367 cell
This walk is a part of our Plants & Their Places Series. See our Botanizing Walks home page for important details about these walks and other types of walks that we offer.