Join Doug Mcgrady for the second walk in our Plants & Their Places walk series on Saturday August 13, 2022 from 10 am to about 2 pm. Sweet Pond, located in the Big River Management Area, is no longer a pond. Similar to Blue Pond, in Hopkinton, this site had a dam failure in the floods of 2010. The result is a beautiful, wet meadow. Some of the unusual species include Bartonia iodandra and paniculata, Coreopsis rosea, Eleocharis tuberculosa, Aristida longespica, and Proserpinaca pectinate.
Expect wet feet – not deep water, but the ground is wet in many places. Access to the pond requires a ¾ mile walk on dirt roads. Be sure to bring food and water. More important details about what to expect on walks in Plant & Their Places series.
Leader: Doug McGrady 401-935-5367 or demcgrady@hotmail.
We will meet at New London Tpk., West Greenwich, RI.
• From I-95 (north or south) take exit 5A onto Route 102 (Victory Hwy.) south.
• Go about .5 miles and turn left onto Route 3 (Nooseneck Hill Rd) north.
• Go about 1.5 miles and turn right (east) onto Congdon Mill Rd.
• Go about 1.7 miles to the end and turn left (northeast) onto New London Tpk.
• Go about .3 miles and bear left (the first left) to stay on New London Tpk. (a dirt road).
• Go about .8 miles to the end at a gate.
Park here, but don’t block the gate.
- This event has passed.